Indie Talk Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip Hop: An Introduction

Go down

Hip Hop: An Introduction Empty Hip Hop: An Introduction

Post  Saby Waby Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:52 am

I don't intend for this post to sound as defining as the title implies, but i can't think of a better name. (if you want to lrn2history Check this out)

Essentially my hope for this post was to define genres and introduce everyone to the ways to best think of the music to enjoy it. Also as with any genre there can be artist in multiple genres, so fret not if it's not perfect.

Mainstream
The first genre I need to get out of the way is Mainstream Hip Hop. This is essentially a blanket term for hip hop that is popular. This is where most of the shit in the genre comes from, but there is always a few Snoops and Jay-z's among the ranks of Insane Clown Posses.
Artists: Jay-z, Snoop Dog, Run-DMC, Kanye West, N.E.R.D, Gym Class Heroes, Nas, Lil Wayne, and Wu-Tang Clan (this is obviously the largest genre and will require much of your own listening these are just some palatable artists.)

Conscious
The most similar but still distinct is Conscious Hip Hop. This is basically mainstream hip hop with a meaning. Many underground artist also fit into the moniker "conscious" but I'm only listing the most indistinct artist on this list.
Artist: Mos Def, Dead Prez, Immortal Technique, Talib Kweli, Lupe Fiasco, The Roots, OutKast and Common.

Alternative
Alternative Hip Hop is also much of a blanket term that is merely artist how expressly try to avoid being mainstream. There are mannnnny artist that fit here.
Artist: Dr. Octagon, Kid Cudi (arguably), Childish Gambino, Aesop Rock, Das Racist, Ninjasonik, The Cool Kids, Spank Rock, Mad Villain, Eyedea & Abilities, MF Doom, Big Krit, Chiddy Bang, Kids in the Hall, and OFWGKTA.

Trip Hop
This is an electronic genre that fuses hip hop and down tempo electronic to such an extent you couldn't describe it as one or the other
Artist: Flying Lotus, Dj Shadow, and Thievery Corporation.

Turntablism
I never really got into this genre but it is important as it is foundations for much of other hip hip. If you couldn't figure it out this is when an artist uses turn tables and scratching to make music.
Artist: Dj Qbert

This is by no means final or even a good list, but hopefully it gives you a place to start looking for new music.
Saby Waby
Saby Waby
Co Admin
Co Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum